Sarcoids are an ever present area of concern in equine circles. It is estimated that over a third of the equids around the world, including donkeys, mules and zebras, suffer from sarcoids at some time in their lives.
These equine skin cancers are thought to be caused by the bovine papillomavirus, transmitted by flies. They are rarely if ever fatal in themselves as they seldom metastasise. However they take several forms and can grow incredibly fast from a small innocuous lump to an ulcerating bleeding growth of considerable size in a matter of weeks.
There are a number of treatment modalities currently available, but sarcoids can often be difficult to treat and frequently recur. This causes concern for the owner and stress and discomfort for the animal concerned as well as increased treatment times and costs to all concerned.
Traditional treatments are many and varied and can be prolonged, time consuming, and not always effective. Some examples are:
- Surgery with or without general anaesthesia depending on the site of the infection.
- Electrothermal as an alternative to surgery can have good results; but feedback from vets using this treatment is that horses don’t always react well to this if not under full anaesthesia.
- Chemical preparations can be applied topically. These can take months to be effective and need constant reapplying. They are often uncomfortable, not well tolerated by the animal and very inconvenient for all concerned.
- Radiation treatment is expensive, inconvenient and awkward to use.
- Cryotherapy is an option where the lesion is treated with liquid nitrogen. It can be quite effective initially but often results in recurrence rates upwards of 65%
- Laser is the most recent modality for treating sarcoids. CO2 lasers have been used successfully; however they have their limitations because of the articulated arm free beam delivery system which restricts their manoeuvrability. The most effective lasers currently available for sarcoid treatment are very portable, highly flexible, diode-based systems.
A Laser Solution for Sarcoids
A diode laser with a typical 3 metre flexible optical fibre is becoming the go-to solution for treating sarcoids. This combination offers a cost-effective result that is beneficial to the horse, owner, and veterinarian alike. Studies show that the diode laser has one of the lowest recurrence rates of any treatment currently available.
Excel Lasers offers a UK-manufactured, medical 30 watt diode laser, tailored for the equine market with a full kit of accessories and our own medical grade fibres. Our fibres are manufactured in-house and the whole package has been put together to make the treatment of sarcoids a simple, quick and efficient everyday procedure.
Our laser sarcoid package enables the practice to bring an effective treatment, yielding an important revenue stream, totally in house. This provides increased flexibility, and patient throughput, while minimising internal costs and inconvenience to the customer and patient.
Underneath are details of our laser and accessories. Please contact us to arrange a demonstration at your site.
Laser Equipment for Sarcoid Treatment
Originally developed and manufactured in the UK by AngioDynamics, these are medical-grade laser systems that are suitable for a wide range of veterinary applications. Available exclusively from Excel Lasers, these system are available in either 15 W or 30 W power outputs and are fully refurbished by us with 12 months warranty.
- 15 W or 30 W output at 810 nm
- Ideal for a wide range of procedures
- Installation and training provided
- Full range of fibres and accessories
- 12 months warranty
Fibres & Accessories
Excel Lasers offers a wide selection of optical fibres, hand-pieces and beam focusing devices, which greatly enhance the functionality of the laser. These enable your veterinary practice to undertake a broad range of procedures requiring incision, excision, vaporisation or coagulation of soft tissue, quickly and with fewer post operative issues.
Treatment of sarcoids requires a 1000 micron fibre with accompanying handpiece, fibre stripper and cleaver.
|DELTA30||Refurbished Delta 30 810 nm 30 W laser|
|ELA034CAS||Customised travel case for Delta laser|
|ELF1000V3||1000 micron 3 m long laser fibre|
|ELA9111-14||Handpiece for 1000 micron fibres|
|ELA033FIB||Fibre stripper for 1000 micron fibres|
|ELA031FIB||Fibre cleaver tool|
|ELA028FIB||SMA fibre cleaning cassette|